Some Facts of the Philippines
- The Philippines are at the peak of the “Coral Triangle”. “The Coral Triangle is
considered to be the global epicenter of marine bio-diversity” (Wikipedia)
- The Philippine coastline length is nearly Double that of the entire United States
with only 3% of the US land area. (26x California) (Wikipedia)
- These are good indicators of Great Diving!
Other Interesting Items
- 7107 Islands, as defined as a land mass >= 1 hectare (2.47 acres) at high tide.
- Population 98 million (approx.)
- Tagalog is the official day-to-day language (with 7 other major dialects).
- English is the official language for all legal processes and higher education.
- English literacy is 50%-80%, depending on reference source.
- The Philippines is the 5th largest English speaking population on Earth. Just
after the United Kingdom. (Wikipedia)
- Religions: Roman Catholic 80.9%, Muslim 5%, Evangelical 2.8%, Iglesia ni
Kristo 2.3%, Aglipayan 2%, other Christian 4.5%, other 1.8%,
unspecified 0.6%, none 0.1%
- The only country whose flag can be properly flown with either side up. Blue on
top when at peace and Red on top when at war.
- While Tagalog, English and other dialects are pervasive, if you ask someone the
time they will reply in Spanish (?). Spain dominated the Philippines
for 300+ years, until 1898. Before that no one cared what time it was.
- As a result of the Spanish-American War the Philippines became a United
States territory from 1898 to 1935 when the Commonwealth of the
Philippines was formed marking the un-dominance of the Philippines.